Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11 Memorial

Hmm don't know how to start this post, so I'll share my RL experience with 9/11...

It was my first semester of college, I didn't go away to school so I was at home in bed just waking up because I had to go to class at probably like 10 or 11. My mom was already up and had on the news. I could hear the tv going and people beginning to talk about planes and crashes. I got up and went out to the living to see what happened. My mom told me a plane hit the WTC. I asked on purpose? We then both watched as the other plane hit and gasp. I got ready for school and as I drove there the radio stations were talking about what was going on. At school tvs were everyone and the tv room was packed. My first class got cancelled because my professor's brother was either in NYC or at the Pentagon (the day is blurry at times). I head to the tv room where they show the tower's falling and people running. I get up and go the bathroom and cry because it was scary and I didn't know what was going on. I think that's what happened most of the day-everyone was glued to the tv not really knowing what was going on.

So anyway I wanted to see how SL was honoring 9/11 and although most was hey come list to Jim secondlifer sing his covers of Jack Johnson and the Doobie Brothers as we honor those lost in 9/11-where your red, white and blue. There was also some prayer services.

I did find on the New York sim a WTC memorial. I went and it was nice but full of people asking for money. I don't know if it's up all the time. But if you venture away from the crowd it's nice and moving. If you turn on the radio stream you can hear the names of everyone who died being read. I didn't get very good pictures as it was very laggy.


Flags for each victim
There's a flag for each victim-representing the country where they were from. These were all over and this picture only shows a small part.



Memorial
Part of the memorial. All these slabs have names on them.
Some of the names
One of the slabs.

I had never been to the WTC before 9/11 but I visited a friend in NYC after and we went there. The whole thing was very surreal. There were people taking pictures of essentially a huge hole. There were people with pictures of loved ones around everywhere. It was just odd and emotional. I got teary eyed just going to the SL memorial.

I would recommend visting-I don't know if the memorial is up all the time. I think the tower memorial would probably be I'm not sure about the flags though.

No comments: